Summer time means hot weather and with the temps rising, everyone is looking for ways to stay cool. Even though the North Pole sounds enticing, there’s no need to travel around the world to find a cool summer escape.
Chattanooga is located on the Tennessee River and surrounded by scenic mountains. And we know that just being close to the water can bring your body temperature down. Whatever type of adventure you’re looking for, Chattanooga offers an array of things to do to stay cool this summer.
1. Enjoy some of the most thrilling Class III & IV whitewater rafting in the country as you raft down the cool rapids of the Ocoee River, home of the 1996 Olympics kayak events.
2. Let the kids frolic in the Coolidge Park interactive water fountains.
3. Jump onto the Tennessee River downtown in a kayak or on a stand-up paddleboard adventure.
4. Relax on the lazy river, in the wave lagoon, or tumble down the water & racer slides at Lake Winnepesaukah’s, five-acre SOAKya Water Park.
5. Venture deep into the heart of Lookout Mountain and explore numerous natural formations while making your way to the famous Ruby Falls underground waterfall. Discover the vast cave system at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, where there’s five and a half miles of mapped passageways winding through unique formations. Both caves average a cool 60 degree temp.
6. Stroll down the Tennessee River aboard the Tennessee Aquarium’s high-speed catamaran River Gorge Explorer, eat lunch or dinner on the Southern Belle Riverboat, pedal your own way with the Chattanooga Cycleboats, or take a tour of downtown and then splash right into the river on a WWII amphibious Chattanooga Duck. Only a few minutes from downtown, you can charter a cabin yacht through Blue Heaven River Tours Chattanooga.
7. For some aquatic fun, head inside the Tennessee Aquarium and dip your hands in the tank to touch lake sturgeon in the River Journey building or stingrays in the Ocean Journey building. Play in the interactive water course by sailing boats, building locks and dams, and shooting jets of water to make whirligigs spin in the Creative Discovery Museum’s Riverplay exhibit.
Be sure to check out Chattanooga's Top 14 Summer Adventures.