America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far
Travel the world in a single museum visit!
This exhibition is on display Monday through Sunday, February 3 through May 13, 2018.
Enjoy hands-on experiences and discover fascinating objects, images and information from over 50 countries. Children and families can:
- Play shop keeper in an international marketplace, selling goods like rugs, fish, ceramics and fabrics
- Marvel at and explore the variety of Muslim architectural designs, colors and patterns, and design your own building
- Compose your own music with sounds from instruments used in many Muslim communities
- Learn how to write your name in 21 languages
- Pretend to explore trade routes, load and unload a boat, ride a camel or drive a fancy Pakistani truck
- Enjoy the beauty and tranquility of a central courtyard featuring an interactive water foundation
- Play a game of Guess What with authentic artifacts
Families can also compose music using an app featuring the rebana, tabla, kora, oud, ney, and ghijak, listen to stories and view objects shared by America Muslim families and even learn how to write and say “My name is …” in 21 languages.
This event is a part of Artburst: a city-wide explosion of color in April. For a full list of Artburst events, visit www.artburstchatt.com.