Spring Break Safari: World Traveler
What if you could. . .
. . . be a World Traveler inside of the Creative Discovery Museum? Travel the world while enjoying hands-on experiences and discovering fascinating objects, images, and information from more than 50 countries including China, Turkey, and India – without ever leaving the museum!
Children can travel the world through numerous hands-on experiences including digging for dinosaur bones from Canada in the Excavation Station; seeing a live scorpion from Western Africa fluoresce; analyzing different types of sand from around the globe; and creating their own Turkish tiles in the Art Studio. While traveling through the Performing Arts Alley, listen to the sounds of a Bonang from Indonesia, play your own song on a steel pan from Trinidad and Tobago, and practice your percussion skills on a double-headed drum from China.
In the museum’s newest traveling exhibit, America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far, families will travel through 50 countries without ever leaving Chattanooga. Children and families can explore ancient trade routes on a two story Indian Ocean dhow (boat) or on a camel. They’ll thrill to the excitement of a global marketplace as they pretend to buy, sell and trade fruit, fish, spice, ceramic, textiles, and rugs. The exhibit environment is rich with art, architecture and design elements from across the globe. Visitors will marvel at a 3D exploration of mosque architecture from the Maldives to China. There’s even an interactive replica/interpretation of a Pakistani truck for children to decorate. Families can also compose music using an app featuring the rebana, tabla, kora, oud, ney, and ghijak, listen to stories and view objects shared by America Muslim families and even learn how to write and say “My name is …” in 21 languages.
Every day kids can explore the rest of the exciting permanent exhibits throughout the museum which include RiverPlay, Make It Gallery, Little Yellow House, Arts Alley, Excavation Station, Corner Clinic, Buzz Alley, Rooftop Fun Factory, Lookout Tower, Culinary Corner, and much more
- Dates available: Friday, March 9-Sunday, April 8, 2018.
- Free Spring Break Safari Guide: Available at ticketing.
- Access to the traveling exhibit (Feb.3 - May 13, 2018) America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far
- Free sticker when you show the exterior Scavenger Hunt photos; a mystery gift when you show the interior Scavenger Hunt photos; and a gift from the Museum Shop when you show your coupon
- Hours: Daily, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Cost: $13.95 per person ages 2 and up (includes admission to the Museum).
- Groups: Reservations requested. Call 423-648-6045, Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. to book advance registration.
Go on a scavenger hunt at the Creative Discovery Museum!